We’ve been reviewing a series of LED grow lights from one of the top manufacturers, PlatinumLED. The PlatinumLED Platinum Series P450 panel is one of our favorites. Here’s why:
Table of Contents
Top features of the PlatinumLED Platinum Series P450 LED grow light panel
- Suspended 18 inches above our plants, the light covers 5 by 4 feet total, ideal for 3’ by 3’ core coverage
- Full spectrum light includes 12 wavelengths from infrared to ultraviolet—it’s like having the sun inside your closet, but without the heat
- Switch for “Bloom” turns on extra flower power
- LEDs don’t generate heat like traditional bulbs, and don’t burn plants
- LEDs use a lot less electricity to run; costs are noticeably lower than using HPS
- PlatinumLED uses top quality 3W bulbs that last up to 50,000 hours or longer
- P450 build quality is solid and the panel looks professional
- The cooling fans on top of the panel are very quiet compared to other brand lights
- Panel accepts a wide range of electric voltages from around the world
Those are the reasons why we respect and use Platinum Series LEDs in our personal setups at home, and recommend them to the pros. You really do get what you pay for—PlatinumLED has top notch products.
The tangible details
The P450 panel is perfect for a 3′ by 3′ grow tent or closet. If you have a larger space, you can hang multiple lights. The P450 runs very quietly, and doesn’t raise the temperature inside to where you’ll need any extra cooling.
The light has a purple cast to it. It’s soothing to the eyes. But if you want to check the health of your weed, you’ll need a regular white light.
Since we switched to LED panels, the electric bill dropped by half. Seriously, I will never grow indoors under anything other than LED ever again.
We’ve never had to replace a bulb or panel, but if we did, PlatinumLED has a 90-day money-back guarantee and and a 5-year warranty.
Great lighting, great results
PlatinumLED says you can replace a 600-watt HPS setup with their P450 panel. Yes, you can. And it only draws about 275W even when you switch on the high-power “Bloom” for flowering—less during the veg stage. Don’t worry about your plants not getting enough light, because they will with the P450.
Just keep the light suspended at the recommended distance from their tops, or canopy. If you get the light too close, you won’t “burn” them, but their leaves will change color. If you see that happening, raise the light a few inches.
One thing we noticed is that with LEDs, we don’t use as much water. We also had to adjust the nutrients a bit. Our weed is growing like… well, a weed!
Worth the investment
We recommend the P450 panel for 3-foot by 3-foot grow areas, or as part of a larger setup. This is a solid performer that helps plants grow healthy. It has a top-notch build with quality components that are made to last. As usual, PlatinumLED backs this up with an excellent 5-year warranty.